smb://

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Thu Dec 28 23:43:06 GMT 2000

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) wrote:

>         Umm, did I miss something? What happend to "workgroup#" ?

This is probably my fault.  I didn't quote the while post (the "[...]").
A note further down explained this:

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> Given the string "smb://<srvname>/" (note: no auth data), first assume
> that this is a browser query, and attempt to locate the server list by
> querying <srvname>#1D.  If this fails, then consider <srvname> to be a
> fileserver.  Attempt to connect to <srvname>#20 and collect a list of
> available services.

There is currently some debate as to the specifics of how this will be
interpreted.  I think this is fine, but I would prefer to flip-flop the
workgroup's precedence over a server name in the unlikely event that
the network namespace is messed up (first try #20, then #1D).

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com