smb://

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Dec 28 23:14:24 GMT 2000

> Steve Langasek wrote:
> >
> > If a machine on a remote subnet registers the server name BLEE with the
> > WINS server, and a machine on the local subnet declares itself the LMB
> > for workgroup BLEE, then I believe existing clients will be able to ignore
> > the conflict and see both workgroup BLEE and server BLEE.
>
> I have to side with "blame a bad network", but because of this scenario,
> I think it would better to "prefer" the server name when in doubt.
> (Look up #20 first and only use #1D failing that.)  Contacting a specific
> server/share (a "must") should outweigh the ability to browse a poorly
> named workgroup (a "user convenience").

I see no reason not to list both, though I am thinking at a high-level
(like a web-browser window).

At the lower level, you might query both names (since this occurs only in
a limited set of scenarios--and only if the name is a NetBIOS name).  If
both return positive then return an error code and allow the programmer
to decide which to list.

Chris -)-----