smb://

Welsh, Armand armand.welsh at sscims.com
Thu Dec 28 20:49:54 GMT 2000

hmmm.. but the @ character can also be part of the username... so now what?

-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: Christopher R. Hertel [mailto:crh at nts.umn.edu]
-> Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2000 12:45 PM
-> To: Welsh, Armand
-> Cc: Samba Technical
-> Subject: Re: smb://
->
-> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
-> >
-> > -> Great.  That simplifies things to this:
-> > ->
-> > -> (known server)
-> > -> smb://[[domain/]user[:password]@]server/[share/[path/]]
-> > -> (browse workgrp)  smb://workgroup/
-> > -> (browse default)  smb://
-> > ->
-> >
-> > I like this format.  It make logical sense.
-> >
-> > -> use ":" and "@", I see no choice but this:
-> > ->
-> > ->   smb://[[domain;]user[:password]@]server/[share/[path/]]
-> > ->
-> >
-> > I don't like this.  It's non-intuitive, and just tries to
-> make the URI
-> > easier to parse, w/o looking at the whole URI.
->
-> As I understand it, based on other messages here, it is
-> necessary that the
-> '/' *not* be used to delimit the domain from the user in
-> order to comply
-> with the RFC specified syntax.
->
-> > If the @ exists in the URI,
-> > then what if the is a / to the left of it, the slash
-> seperates the domain
-> > from the username[:password] fields.  If there is no @ in
-> the URI, then no
-> > domain should be specified, unless the domain is what is
-> being browsed.  It
-> > makes sense to me anyways...
->
-> Yes, I see your point.  If the domain exists then the @ must
-> also exist,
-> so if the @ is present, then we know that the first field
-> must be the domain.
->
-> ...except...
->
-> Except that I do not know if an @ sign is a legitimate
-> character in a
-> service name, directory path, or filename.  I think that it
-> is allowed,
-> which would break the scheme you suggest.
->
-> I think the two formats that we are narrowing towards are:
->
->   smb://[[[domain;]user[:password]@]server/[share/[path/][file]]]
-> or
->   smb://[[[domain\]user[:password]@]server/[share/[path/][file]]]
->
-> There is precedent for using the backslash and, since
-> Microsoft uses that
-> character as part of their UNC, it is unlikely at worst that
-> it will be
-> part of a username.
->
-> (Um, should that be [domain\]user or user[\domain] ??)
->
-> Chris -)-----
->
-> --
-> Christopher R. Hertel -)-----                   University
-> of Minnesota
-> crh at nts.umn.edu              Networking and
-> Telecommunications Services
->
->     Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them
->     with your hands...you choose them as your guides, and following
->     them you will reach your destiny.  --Carl Schultz
->