Directory listing in libsmbclient.so

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Dec 28 18:10:18 GMT 2000

Richard,

I think that the reason for all the feedback is that you've hit on
something critical.  I know I'm intrigued.  (Can you tell?)  ;)

> Firstly, the libsmbclient.so library alreay has a way for authentication
> information to be provided. There is a callback that is supplied when the
> smbc_init call is made.

Kewl.

> However, it is possible that an in-line method of specifying authentication
> may be needed as well.

Agreed.

> Now, I have been thinking about all the feedback, and I wonder if forcing
> browsing of workgroups into the spec might be bending things too much out
> of shape?

I don't think so.  I see ntdomain authentication as the critical point.

> The URI syntax could become:
>
>   smb://[user[/domain]:password@]server/service/path

I posted a message concerning my opposition to the use of the slash as a
delimiter between user and ntdomain.  It makes parsing difficult as you
no longer know the meaning of the fields.

Chris -)-----