smb://

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Thu Dec 28 17:56:04 GMT 2000

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> Where does the default domain come from?  I assume that this is a
> configuration issue and, in the useage we are considering here, one may
> not have a specified default.  That would mean that it would need to be
> specified as part of the server string.

Not quite, since the namespace is flat, it is _only_ needed for
authentication information if the server is known.  Maybe we can
come up with a default and maybe we can't.  That will depend on
exactly where this is being implemented.

> <server> :== [user[@ntdomain][:passwd]@]server[:port]
>
> This can be parsed, and it limits the number of metacharacters used in
> the server string.  If an ntdomain is included, then there will be two
> '@' signs in the string, so it will be possible to determine which
> delimits what.

While this is true, I would rather not violate RFC 2396, 3.2.2:

   URL schemes that involve the direct use of an IP-based protocol to a
   specified server on the Internet use a common syntax for the server
   component of the URI's scheme-specific data:

   where <userinfo> may consist of a user name and, optionally, scheme-
   specific information about how to gain authorization to access the
   server.  The parts "<userinfo>@" and ":<port>" may be omitted.

      server        = [ [ userinfo "@" ] hostport ]

   The user information, if present, is followed by a commercial at-sign
   "@".

This seems pretty defiant that "@" will end the userinfo portion.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com