Directory listing in libsmbclient.so

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Dec 27 23:54:56 GMT 2000

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Simo Sorce wrote:

> Yes, that's true if you have one network!
> On different networks machines may have the same NetBIOS name, but I think
> in this case to address another network the server name will be a dns name
> not a netbios one....

But if the machines which use the same netbios name are all on different
networks, then either DNS will be used for locating the machines as you say,
or only one of the machines will be accessible to you at any one time.  So
again, the workgroup is irrelevant.  In the case where you must use DNS to
connect to the server, workgroups are doubly useless, because you can't even
access the machine by browsing the workgroup:  browse lists only contain
netbios names, so if you can't resolve the netbios name to an IP, you don't
get anywhere clicking on the icon in the browse list (I'm sure we've all seen
this before).

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer