Directory listing in libsmbclient.so

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Dec 27 23:43:03 GMT 2000

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Simo Sorce wrote:

> Obviously a name is a name and is always possible to have a server with
> the same name of a workgroup but in this case it is possible to address
> the server simply prepending it's workgroup name.

> Without having workgroup name in the string you may have two servers of
> different workgroups but with the same netbios name and not have a way to
> differentiate them !

Not true.  You cannot have two machines on the same network using the same
netbios name.  If you had two machines on the network trying to use the same
netbios name, one of two things would happen: either one of the machines would
take precedence over the other, and you would only be able to see one of the
machines; or there would be conflicting netbios information on your network,
and each attempt to do a lookup on the name would give different results.
This is the case regardless of whether they have different workgroups, and it
is precisely why the workgroup name is not relevant to anything other than
browse lists and why I feel it should not be included in the URI.  It is not
disambiguating, and it doesn't fit in the protocol://server/resource syntax of
a URI.

Scope IDs, OTOH, do allow you to give the same netbios name to multiple
machines, so it might not be a bad idea to include support for scope, but
that's neither here nor there.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer