Directory listing in libsmbclient.so

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed Dec 27 17:20:45 GMT 2000

> Simo Sorce wrote:
> > following win semantic isn't it better to use:
> >
> > smb://workgroup\user:password/server/share ?
>
> Aside from using the rather unpleasant backslash character, that

Agreed.  The backslash is a problem for Unix environments.

> doesn't follow the "standard" URI syntax defined in the applicable
> RFCs.  You might have a case for doing:
>
>     smb://workgroup/user:password@server/share
>
> since the "workgroup" portion of the path is defining the "domain"
> of the URI, but otherwise I'd avoid making up new ways to do the
> same thing with lots of bad side-effects... (How long did it take to
> get rid of the mandatory backslashes in SAMBA?  How many problems
> have they cause for Microsoft? :)

They cause little trouble for Microsoft since they are part of a known
syntax that has been around for a long time.  Samba doesn't need them for
UNC (Universal Naming Convention), but supports them (in smbclient, for
example) simply because they are familiar.

Chris -)-----