Directory listing in libsmbclient.so

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Dec 27 02:02:10 GMT 2000

At 08:33 AM 12/26/00 -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
>Richard Sharpe wrote:
>> We are working with a URI style syntax, and I wanted to propose
>> the following:
>>
>>   smb:        means list all workgroups on current network
>>
>>   smb:wg//    means list all servers in workgroup wg
>>   smb://      means list all servers in your workgroup (as defined in
>>               $USER/.smb/smb.conf
>> Does anyone have any comments on this ...
>
>What we've done for CUPS is similar:
>
>    smb://workgroup
>    smb://workgroup/server
>    smb://workgroup/server/share
>    smb:///server/share (server in current workgroup)
>
>The main difference is (as you can see) that the workgroup shows up
>after the // in the URI, which IMHO is a bit more "standard" and
>follows the recommended stuff for the file: scheme.

I note that the smbspool code says that the URI format is:

  smb://[user:passwd@][workgroup/]server/share

However, this seems problematical, in that it is slightly at odds with what
you said above and makes it difficult to decide whether or not a workgroup
was specified.

I would have thought that the syntax should be:

  smb://[user:passwd@][workgroup]/server/share

>--
>Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com
>Printing Software for UNIX                       http://www.easysw.com