Still no solution after 5 months(!) - Transfer speed problems(oplocks?) with Samba 2.0.7 and Win2K Pro

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Thu Dec 21 16:25:06 GMT 2000

"Welsh, Armand" wrote:
> I just finnished installing RedHat Linux 6.2/Sparc onto a 25Mhz Sun Sparc
> Classic, and I can't beleive how much faster  it is than the Sun OS was...
> It could be because of how thin it is though...

	Partly that, partly optimizations that made small
	machines slower previous to 2.5.1, plus &$#$!! ufs.

	They've killed a number of the sloths subsequently (;-))

	I'm in the midst of testing ufs versus logging
	ufs versus VxFS versus ext2fs: right now I can
	**unequivically** recommend the Solaris 8 "logging"
	option for SMB servers.  This speed up directory
	operations by safely logging metadata updates, then
	applying them in elevator-algorithm order, not
	pessimal order.

	I'll post a mini-report about dbench & -o logging
	presently.

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com