Still no solution after 5 months(!) - Transfer speed problems (oplocks?) with Samba 2.0.7 and Win2K Pro

Welsh, Armand armand.welsh at sscims.com
Thu Dec 21 00:41:54 GMT 2000

-> >
-> > This may even be true (although I stronly doubt it for smp
-> > systems), but there is a strong disincentive for working on
-> > BSD systems in that the license doesn't protect the code.
-> >
-> > NetApp are a prime example of a company that started with
-> > a *BSD based codebase and have contributed no fixes (to
-> > my knowledge) back to the BSD community. The Windows NT
-> > stack is also *BSD based originally - no return contributions.
->
-> Isn't it based on VMS code base?
->

Which, NetApp, or NT?  Microsoft's TCP/IP Stack is BSD based.  Check the
microsoft Knowledge base, it's in there.

-> > This is the "free rider" problem that is why many people prefer to
-> > work on Linux.
-> >
->
-> Well, not only.
-> People use Linux also becuse it is the most growing OS
-> available, have
-> much more support than the others and many apps coming every
-> day, and now
-> many big companies supporting it letting people believe it
-> will be a lot
-> better than currently in the near future.
->

And, for someone like myself, I can't stand the BSD file system layout.  I
like the Linux-Mandrake format (i.e., RedHat derivative of SysV).  Plus, I
like the linux system better, because it seems like a smoother OS from what
I've seen.  Whenever I tried BSD, it felt more kludgy, and bland.  True, BSD
could be made to feel like what I use, but why do all that, when it's
already available in a package that's freely downloadable, and opensource?