Still no solution after 5 months(!) - Transfer speed problems (oplocks?) with Samba 2.0.7 and Win2K Pro

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Dec 20 18:31:24 GMT 2000

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 10:50:24AM +0900, Kenichi Okuyama wrote:

> You seems to know a lot about system, at least enough to understand
> how to create 2.4.0-test12 kernels. Then, why don't you try using *BSD?
>
> At least, as for Server perpose, I think *BSD works lot better than
> Linux.

This may even be true (although I stronly doubt it for smp
systems), but there is a strong disincentive for working on
BSD systems in that the license doesn't protect the code.

NetApp are a prime example of a company that started with
a *BSD based codebase and have contributed no fixes (to
my knowledge) back to the BSD community. The Windows NT
stack is also *BSD based originally - no return contributions.
This is the "free rider" problem that is why many people prefer to
work on Linux.

Regards,

		Jeremy Allison,
		Samba Team.