problem on port 137 with AIX 432 system

Welsh, Armand armand.welsh at sscims.com
Wed Dec 13 16:14:59 GMT 2000

port 137 UDP specificaly, is the NetBIOS Name service port.  It is the port
that handles the lookup and transmission of netbios computer names, simillar
to dns, but it's mostly broadcast based, not unicast.

NetBIOS does not use microsoft RPC, it's specific to the ports defined, so
you can not move the port w/o causing the service to break, (much like
http:// expects port 80, and ftp expects port 21, etc...) there is no real
way to remap to another port, unless you can use port redirection on your
box (a firewall function).

The solution is to locate the application that is listening on port 137, and
stop it.  chances are that nmbd may have already started, or you may be
running some other netbios name server on that box.  Try a "netstat -l -n"
to see if the port is listening.  It's also possible that you may have a
wrapper in place, in which case, you want to remove port 137 from the
wrapper daemon (usually inetd.conf).