libsmb

Michael B. Allen mballen at erols.com
Wed Dec 13 07:34:27 GMT 2000

On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 10:31:09PM +1000, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> there should be a press release from Caldera soon on libsmbclient.
>
> It is underway :-) !

I would like to express my intrest in this. I have aquired a very good
understanding of client operations in particular working on jcifs. Jcifs
is an smb client library in pure Java that does full multiplexing,
unicode, optimal batching, etc and is highly flexible. I believe I can
translate some of the techniques used to solve these problems to such
a project.

However I would prefer to devote my time to something that would become
the definitive library for Samba, smbclient, smbfs, Alain's Perl
interface, or whatever with well defined interfaces to abstract the
obvious layers(netbios --> smb transport --> smb encoding/decoding -->
transactions) rather than something that "just works" for one group. Do
the Right Thing from the beginning and do it well. Incedentally I would
also like to see a proper msrpc implementation but admittedly I'm not
familiar with what that would take(perhaps we can refactor an existing
UNIX rpc codebase?).

Mike

--
Professional Carrage Return Linefeed Conversion Services, Inc.
High quality CRLF programming tools, carrage-return\rlinefeed