Machine user accounts

David Bannon D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
Wed Dec 13 00:46:13 GMT 2000

At 01:29 PM 12/12/2000 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>Hi *,
>
>Why do I need to have accounts for NT clients on my samba server? Just
>authorization? Or is there any data in the accounts?

The client and server (whether NT or Samba) need to be able to trust each
other, they do so by exchanging 'secrets' based on machine accounts. From
time to time they agree to change the passwords associated with the accounts.

Without this arrangment each NT will have to be a stand alone machine, not
a member of a domain and you  will need to create an account on each
machine for each person who may want to use it. And that could be a very
time consuming process !

David
David Bannon                      D.Bannon at latrobe.edu.au
School of Biochemistry            Phone 61 03 9479 2197
La Trobe University, Plenty Rd,   Fax   61 03 9479 2467
Bundoora, Vic, Australia, 3083    http://bioserve.latrobe.edu.au