libsmb

Alain BARBET alain.barbet at mnc.fr
Tue Dec 12 13:12:09 GMT 2000

Hi,

I suggest 2 weeks ago the idea of add a libsmb target in Samba Makefile. I
want use this with a Perl module, that work with a shared C library.

After that Matt Peterson ask for use of  actual client routine (cli_*) or use
a higher interface (same as Richard Sharpe has made 3 years ago).

After that I see in todo list this:
- (Priority - MEDIUM, Status - *INACTIVE*) Isolate client side RPCs into a
portable libmsrpc library (need a portable SMB client type library first)."

So I've test the two solutions:

- First I dowload last beta release, and take a look in cli_functions. Mmm I
didn't found a header C file that can do with what I want, and didn't
understand all goal of functions.

- Second I download old libsmb and found smblib.h. Yes! It's missing some
functions, but it's a very good start. I make several change for build libsmb
under Linux in the rfcnb directory but it's work.

For developper other than Samba Team I think cli_ function seem to be as a
black box .... So I think it's a better thing to use a higer interface with
minimum code for hide complex cli_functions.

No ? What you think of this ? Can I start to use smblib.h interface ?
(and work of Richard Sharpe must be rewritten or not ?)
--
Alain BARBET
http://www.alianwebserver.com