Forward: [Re: Thoughts on problems with W2K joining ...] (fwd)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Dec 7 15:04:54 GMT 2000

code exists for doing join to domain in TNG.  this issue was resolved ten
months ago.

p.s. for those people insisting on reinventing the wheel, you should know
that if you do not null-terminate the name (e.g. UNISTR2->len = 4, maxlen
=4, name=(uint16*)"T\0E\0S\0T") from the LsaQueryInfoPolicy response to
the NT5 client, the NT5 LSA unmarshalling code will take the next 2 bytes
- whatever they contain - as the string termination character.

if this is what you have done (unistr2->len and maxlen =
strlen(unistr2->name) instread of strlen(name)+1) then even-lengthed
domain names will fail and odd-lengthed names will succeed because the
item following the domain name is a 32-bit quantity, and is 4-byte
aligned, leaving 2 null chars to be "interpreted" as a unicode
null-termination character.

in nt5 registry, set Netlogon/Parameters/Debug to [string, NOT a dword!!!]
"0x1fffffff", and replace the NETLOGON.DLL with a checked build
NETLOGON.DLL.

reboot.

then attempt a join, and then examine %system%/debug/netlogon.log.

you will find that an attempt was made, logged and failed, to access TEST+
via a UDP 138 NETLOGON MAILSLOT query, where + is some totally random
character.

i think that this even shows up on-the-wire.  which means that if the
domain TEST+ actually exists (do a UDP mailslot flood and it will exist,
all right)....

hm.

you know what?

i think this is enough of a security risk to let ms know (hi guys).  they
have recently changed their minds about client-side problems being less of
a priority than server-side problems.

luke