SMB process owned by root NOT Users?

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Thu Dec 7 08:58:55 GMT 2000

Mitch,

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:17:18 -0800, Mitch McNeel wrote:

>Why is it, some of my smbd processes are actually owned by the users
>logon and some are owned by root?.  Once in a while I have a hand
>full of user owned smbd processes.  Is that normal or should all
>processes be owned by root and not the user?

It's normal: smbd changes between root and user as needed. It's user
when it is doing something on behalf of the user, it's root when it is
doing something the user would not be allowed to (ie writing to
log.smbd).

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.