SMB process owned by root NOT Users?

Mitch McNeel mitchm at mwh.com
Wed Dec 6 19:17:18 GMT 2000

Thanks to all that replied!!!

The deadtime option should fix my inactive processes problem, but I still have
a few more questions.  Why is it, some of my smbd processes are actually owned
by the users logon and some are owned by root?.  Once in a while I have a hand
full of user owned smbd processes.  Is that normal or should all processes be
owned by root and not the user?

TIAV.
Mitch

"Romeril, Alan" wrote:

> Hi Mitch,
>         That`s fairly normal behaviour, on our systems the smbd`s become
> owned by root after logon.  What we find useful is the dead time parameter.
> We set it to about an hour, but it`s really up to what your users need, it
> might help clean up your machine.
>
> From the smb.conf manpage....
>      deadtime (G)
>
>           The  value  of  the  parameter  (a   decimal   integer)
>           represents the number of minutes of inactivity before a
>           connection is considered dead, and it is  disconnected.
>           The  deadtime  only  takes effect if the number of open
>           files is zero.
>
>           This is useful  to  stop  a  server's  resources  being
>           exhausted by a large number of inactive connections.
>
>           Most clients have an auto-reconnect feature when a con-
>           nection  is  broken  so  in  most  cases this parameter
>           should be transparent to users.
>
>           Using this parameter with a timeout of a few minutes is
>           recommended for most systems.
>
>           A deadtime of zero indicates that no auto-disconnection
>           should be performed.
>
>           Default:       deadtime = 0
>
>           Example:       deadtime = 15
>
> Cheers,