Using Samba as a proxy authentication service?

Kevin Colby kevinc at grainsystems.com
Mon Dec 4 15:23:41 GMT 2000

This is precisely the need we had for authenticating users for squid
access.  Squid came with some stock methods, but they did account
existence checks only, and we needed a specific group membership check.

This was before the TNG fork, so TNG was discussed all the time here.
We found the simplest way to this was to use TNG's 'rpclient'.  We
could pass domain/group/username/password and just grep the output.
Then we bottled it up and had squid call that for authentication.
It works just fine, though we haven't tested it under heavy load.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevinc at grainsystems.com