smbmout using ssh forwarding

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Dec 1 20:19:09 GMT 2000

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Nadeem Hasan wrote:

> remote:~ # smbmount //localhost/userxx /mnt -o username=userxx port=8004
> Password:
> tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in
> tree connect.)
> SMB connection failed

Why are you using space to separate the options?

With an ssh tunnel from localhost:1234 to a remote win2k box (ssh to an
accessable machine in the middle) this fails:
smbmount //servername/share /mnt/point -o username=abc password=xyz ip=127.0.0.1 port=1234 workgroup=grp

And this works:
smbmount //servername/share /mnt/point -o username=abc,password=xyz,ip=127.0.0.1,port=1234,workgroup=grp

Why? Because in the first case you are only giving smbmount a username, no
portnumber. -o needs a complete list of options. smbmount should implement
all options listed in the manpage, including the ip= option.
(I need to add workgroup since the remote machine is a domain member).

Also, please use the samba at samba.org list for usage questions. I think
working examples of how to do smbfs/ssh tunnels have been discussed there
before.

/Urban