Failed to set gid privileges

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Tue Aug 29 12:51:05 GMT 2000

Message: 11
From: "Eloy A. Paris" <eparis at andrew.cmu.edu>
To: <slootsky at bigfoot.com>
Cc: <samba at samba.org>
Subject: Re: Failed to set gid privileges
Date:   Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:55:52 -0400
charset="iso-8859-1"

You wrote:
| I am the maintainer of the Samba package for Debian and know very
| well what your problem is: you are running a 2.0.x linux kernel. If
| you upgrade to a 2.2.x Linux kernel the problem will go away. This
| problem has been reported several times, and I still haven't been
| able to figure out a nice solution.

	The Multics approach was to trap on the invalid call,
	and tell the human that the program needed a library
	containing, in this case, setresgid()

	We do the same thing (finally ^$%^$%#^!!!) on Solaris,
	and I wonder if we can't arrange to do the same thing
	on Linux.

	The underlying problem is detecting the presence/absence
	of a function call at compile time instead of load-time,
	which opens a huge window for failure...

	The arguably proper place to fix this is in the linker,
	but that's famously not under the controll of the Samba
	team (;-)).  Could you raise this with the Debian folks,
	and see if we can get this adressed in a later release.

|			 So, when you run these binaries in a
| system that is running a 2.0.x kernel, the program (smbd) tries to
| make these system calls but since they are not available they fail

	Hmmn: what is the errno value returned?  It should be
	ENOTSUP, "Operation not supported".  If it is, Samba
	can be taught to produce the proper error message...

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com