dce/rpc "client" api

jeremy at valinux.com jeremy at valinux.com
Fri Aug 25 05:21:08 GMT 2000

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 03:11:12PM +1000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> ur, noooo, according to the "leaders of the samba development", there will
> be _no_ convenient way to interoperate with samba's dce/rpc-based
> services.

Not true. New pipe services will be able to be
plugged in using the .so interface to smbd.

> including all DCOM-based ones.

DCOM only exists on the MS platforms. The non MS
standard for such is Corba.

> MSRPC is a superset of DCE/RPC.  DCE/RPC was developed and has pretty much
> stagnated for at least... ten years.  MSRPC is a main-stream, critical
> component of NT, and is doing a pretty good job

You only say that as you've never used ONC/RPC based remote services.
Compared to the simplicity of ONC, MSRPC is over engineered and
a *hive* of security problems. ONC has had its share over the years,
but no where near as many as MS-RPC holds.

> > > Call me when you've got a *real* product with such a complaint,
> > > not a hypothetical one.
> > >
> > > :-).
> > >
> > 	That's fair.  Original complaint withdrawn.
>
> hm, by you, it is, because you're not the one preparing the groundwork to
> write such a Real Product: no offense intended or implied, tim.
>
> jeremy's attitude is just downright unhelpful.  it implies that without a
> finished product, the cooperation and code reuse should not even be
> CONSIDERED.  well, i am sorry to say this, but fuck you too.

Luke, I expect you to apologise for this. That was uncalled for
and is untrue.

Has it occurred to you, that when Andrew, Tim, myself, Jean-Francois,
Gerald, and others on the Team think you're wrong on these decisions
that you MIGHT ACTUALLY BE WRONG !

Something to think about......

Jeremy.