threads and VMS [Re: dce/rpc "client" api]

David Allan Finch david.allan at finch.org
Thu Aug 24 10:24:47 GMT 2000

Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> Does anybody have any non-anecdotal evidence that the lack of
> intra-smbd threading is hurting our performance?

I can't do that for Samba, but in our system 'PrintExpress' there
was a significant improvement in overall performance and
responce to user requests when we changed from a single
to multi-thread RPC dispatch system. So much so that
I went from a 'never-use-threads' to 'threads-can-have-
there-uses' PoV :-)

--
   /     The whole history of this invention has been a struggle
/\|/\    against time - Charles Babbage 1837 on the Analytical Engine
\___/    david.allan at finch.org - http://www.ironfort.com