dce/rpc "client" api

Andrew Tridgell tridge at linuxcare.com
Wed Aug 23 12:35:39 GMT 2000

> believe me when i say that having an IDL compiler would have made the task
> only marginally easier.

no, I'm afraid I don't believe that. A very large part of our problems
was cause directly by the hand generated nature of that code. The code
was extremely fragile with subtle dependencies on alignments, sizes of
structures etc. An IDL compiler would have allowed us to concentrate
on the high level description of the structures rather than having to
mentallly assemble the ndr wire format for each function.

That only leaves the semantic meaning of the fields in those
structures and implementing functions that produce that
semantics. That is a much easier problem to solve and debug once you
know that you have the right bytes in the right fields.