SAMBA_TNG branch [was Re: dce/rpc "client" api]

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Tue Aug 22 15:45:30 GMT 2000

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 08:49:17AM -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
> Sander Striker wrote:
> >
> > I very much appreciate this. I think TNG needs to
> > be supported until there is a production release of DC
> > code. This gap needs to stay filled, otherwise people
> > have to go back to MS servers...
>
> ok.  I really hate to bring this up, but SAMBA_TNG was
> designed to to be a development branch.  It is not
> "supported" now so how can it be continued to be
> supported.

Well, I just have to say here, that I'm _trying_ to
"support" TNG to some degree. The amount of "support" that
I can give is seriously limited by my spare time. But I'm
nevertheless trying to do it.

And there are numerous other people, who are "supporting"
TNG in the way, they can. Some try to write docs about it
(Lars and Matthew), others answer a bunch of mail on
samba-ntdom and help "newbee"s on the list (and so give me
more time, because I don't need to answer). (If I missed
someone, please don't take this personaly!).

Of course, Luke should be named here too.

For me all this stuff looks like "support", also everybody
is told, that this stuff _is_ alpha/development code.

Thanks to all of the guys helping out!

And I think, Sander is right, TNG needs some support.

One thing, I would request on the support side:

It would be realy helpful, if the HEAD-developers have TNG
in mind:

- If something is done in HEAD, please try to also do it in
  TNG. At least I would like you to try it. If you fail,
  because TNG is completely different in some aspects, then
  it's okay, if you don't go further and possibly drop me
  some few lines about it.
- If (for whatever reason [time]) you can't update TNG,
  + it would be helpful for the merging effort, if the
    commit-msgs are precise, so that it is clear, what
    feature is to be merged over.
  + try to commit small bunch of work. The smaller your
    change is, the easier it is for us (me) to merge the
    thing over. (Maybe you've seen, that some things were
    needed <15mins to get from HEAD to TNG. Simply because
    those were _small_.)

(If I find something, that is relevant for HEAD, I'm always
trying to report this in a fashion, that it should be as
easy as possible to fix this. I would simply like
HEAD-developers to at least try to do this for TNG.)

> It just seems like things have gotten a little
> out of perspective.  This entire conversation has gotten
> so far off track at this point.

Yes.

I simply have to say, I'm currently a little struggling
with all the mail... And I constantly have the impression,
that I'm missing mail...

    Elrond