dce/rpc "client" api

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Tue Aug 22 06:16:25 GMT 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > what happens when we decide to remove some of those global variables???
>
> If the shared library used that variable and you remove it then the
> shared library will no longer load. Bad luck.

exactly.

this in and of itself is a good reason for not promoting the .so system as
a viable substitute for the daemon architecture, which _does_ solve the
issue that you surmise that the .so system will solve, namely that it will
be possible to mix-and-match services from different development branches.