dce/rpc "client" api

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Aug 21 16:24:42 GMT 2000

Sander Striker wrote:

> This would be my greatest concern. Samba is pro interoperability,
> so is Luke (maybe even more, but lets not go there), so
> there should be a way to make this all work together. I

Sorry, I know I shouldn't take the bait, but I can't help
myself.  There is no need to implement functionality in
Samba that is not utilized by clients.  People gripe all
the time about Windows software bloat.  Let's not do the
same thing to Samba.  If a dce/rpc over TCP (or HTTP
or whatever) implementation is not needed, then don't add
it.

That said, I think that Luke's idea of developing
the framework for aother applications that may need
this functionality is a great idea.  More power to it. :-)

"But why can't you just use the SMB transport support
in Luke's framework?" you ask.  Now this is really
starting to compare to the arguement about hand
written assembly vs. compiler generated code.  When Luke's
ideas mature (no offense meant by that at all) and the code
settles, may moving to it would be the right thing to do.
Right now, it seems that having a hand crafted "assembly"
solution in Samba would be the most beneficial for Samba.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org
       http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~cartegw