dce/rpc "client" api

Mayers, Philip J p.mayers at ic.ac.uk
Mon Aug 21 16:15:39 GMT 2000

ONC/RPC and DCE/RPC are totally different animals, that accomplish the same
purpose. DCE/RPC happens to be the interesting one, since it's what NT uses.
ONC/RPC is used most notably in NFS. I typically turn anything using it off,
since there are mile-wide holes in most Unices handling of ONC/RPC (sun
calendar manager, anyone?).

(That's not to say the same isn't true of DCE/RPC...)

I personally regard a generic, transport independent DCE/RPC library as a
good thing from an engineering point of view. I can envisage OpenExchange,
running on a Linux box. Nice... *But*, from a "here-and-now" point of view,
I can also see it makes sense to go with what you've got.
Samba-the-file-server doesn't need TCP mappings itself AFAIK.

The real shame of it is that two DCE/RPC libraries might end up being
available. If you're using an IDL compiler, which calls the library to
marshall/unmarshall, then the non-Samba library is going to make sense, and
the auto-generated codebases (samba and not-samba) are going to diverge.
That could be costly in the future.

Still, c'est la vie. I imagine at some point, the codebases might converge.
Hopefully the .so architechture will be flexible enough to have it's
front-end replaced at a later date. I'm sure the team knows what it's doing
in that respect.

Regards,
Phil

| Phil Mayers, Network Support     |