Docs/Specs

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at polimi.it
Fri Aug 18 11:33:19 GMT 2000

"Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:

> Sigh.
>
> There is a small document called "internals", I believe, but it won't be
> very much use.
>
> The problem is that Samba itself is the result of both the docs you've
> already found and reverse-engineering work.  That means that we don't
> always know why the protocol does what it does, and we also have a moving
> target.  That's tough to document.
>
> Best bet is to ask good technical questions.

Unfortunately, looking through the code tree and the ftp server I have
not found it! (Perhaps in CVS?)
I hope you will not be too annoyed if I ask silly questions in future,
but samba is really a monster to understand from scratch both because M$
does not give clear docs as you pointed and both because the project has
grown quite a lot in time.
Have you ever thought of splitting the code in smaller modules and load
them at runtime if needed?

--
Simo Sorce - Integrazione Sistemi Unix/Windows - Politecnico di Milano
E-mail: simo.sorce at polimi.it
Tel.int: 02 2399 2425 - Fax.int. 02 2399 2451