dce/rpc "client" api

David Allan Finch david.allan at finch.org
Fri Aug 18 09:56:02 GMT 2000

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> p.s. if you are in contact with the X windows developers, please tell
> them i said that this is dodgy approach!

Interesting this technique has been in uses since at least 1985 and
X has been compiled on a large number of system with an even
large number of C compilers.  If you are really worried about it
I can check with some of the people that where on the C++
committee about where it is guaranteed to work. My gut feeling
it it is.

Personally I would have don't it as a struct with an int type
field and a union. I.E. {pseudoC}

enum XEventType { blar1, blar2, blar3 };

union XEventData
    {
    XAnyEvent any;
    XAnotherEvent somethingelse;
    };

struct XEvent
    {
    XEventType type;
    XEventData data;
    };

--
   /     The whole history of this invention has been a struggle
/\|/\    against time - Charles Babbage 1837 on the Analytical Engine
\___/    david.allan at finch.org - http://www.ironfort.com