dce/rpc "client" api

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Fri Aug 18 05:59:07 GMT 2000

  [me]
> > Each of the structures in the union begins with "int type", which
> > is used to determine which struct you're really dealing with.

[lkcl]
> this implies that all compilers will always start with the 1st member
> of the structure at the start of the structure

I believe the ISO C standard guarantees this.  The standard does *not*
guarantee any particular padding scheme, so it's definitely easy to get
yourself in trouble by assuming things.  But I do believe the
implementation is required to keep the struct members in order, and not
to pad before the first member (so foo.first_member === *foo).

> p.s. if you are in contact with the X windows developers, please tell
> them i said that this is dodgy approach!

I'm not....

Peter