couldn't set effective gid to 100

Robert Hogan robert.d.hogan at aib.ie
Thu Aug 17 08:30:36 GMT 2000

I'm experiencing this same problem with two installations of samba 2.0.3 on
the same domain. I have discovered that if I do not start the daemons using
the /etc/rc file at boot time but launch them when I log on as root samba
works fine. Otherwise if they are launched at boot time, no amount of
stopping and starting will help, samba will not work at all.To be honest,
this baffles me and I would like to know if there is a way of starting the
daemons at boot time without encountering this error.

------------------
Thanks all for the help.  I guess being lazy doesn't pay sometimes.  I
figured
that if slackware was distributing a binary, that it actually might work.
downloaded and installed 2.0.7, and it solved my problems.

Thanks again...

-steve j

PS, The version of Slackware that I am running comes with 2.0.3...

Ron Alexander wrote:

> Do you have 'encrypted passwords=yes' in your smb.conf file?
>
> There are several things that will raise that error.
>
> Did you load pre-compiled binaries or did you build samba yourself?
>
> If you built it yourself, what is the platform?
>
> Basically, if the parent process is running from init it should be root
and
> able to set any gid. There are some platforms that need special compile
time
> defs however.
>
> I just looked at the source code and can't find the error. What version
are
> you running?
>
> How do you start the smb daemon?
>
> Ron

This document is strictly confidential and is intended for use by
 the addressee unless otherwise indicated.

Allied Irish Banks