samba development

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Wed Aug 16 19:01:16 GMT 2000

Hi Luke, and everyone else,

As Sander, I haven't been around for a long time, and as
others I'm a little saddened.

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 01:16:39PM +1000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> i started on the nt domains for unix project on the basis of paul ashton's
> enthusiastic and "this can't be too hard" attitude, back in august 97.
>
> since then, with the encouragement of a number of people over the last
> three years, and with the discouragement of others, the nt domains
> protocols are now pretty well understood.
>
> due to that constant discouragement, i no longer find it as enjoyable to
> work on samba as i did.  the enjoyment from discovering new ground is no
> longer offset by the constant dismissal of the ideas and solutions that i
> come up with.
>
> those solutions come from a far-sighted understanding of what is involved,
> and what can be achieved.  i never intend to just "solve the problem at
> hand", i intend to think ahead of what can be achieved both now _and_ in
> the future.

As I'm quite closely envolved in the same area, I have to
say, that I've mostly agreed with many of your ideas and
things, you wanted to change. This is not, because I would
always say "Yes" to everything you say (there are things,
where we're quite on differente sides.), but because I
think I understand most of it and I think you're simply
right.
I didn't often jump in to say so. I mostly thought, that
you are well able to make your point yourself. :)

> to that end, the constant dismissal of my development approach, the
> constant dismissal of coding solutions, the constant dismissal of designs,
> is just too much.
>
> if anyone can think of a solution to this, please let me know.  in the
> mean-time, i shall find other projects to work on.

No. Currently, I haven't got any reasonable solution.

> all the best,

I also wish you good luck! I will surely miss you.

> luke

    Elrond