smbd - could'nt set effective gid to 100 msg

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Wed Aug 16 14:06:58 GMT 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 06:45:42 -0700, you wrote:

>I was hoping that someone could take a look at this error and point me in
>the right direction.  Is there a better list / source for this?  I couldn't
>find anything more appropriate and functional on samba.org.

>> [2000/08/13 16:43:56, 0] smbd/uid.c:become_gid(105)
>>   Couldn't set effective gid to 100 currently set to (real=0,eff=0)

Don't have you original message and don't know your platform/version.
This is probably due to samba having mis-detected your system method to
switch uid/gid.
After you ./configure samba look into config.h and manually adjust the
definitions to match what your system needs; on my linux systems it says
/* #undef USE_SETEUID */
#define USE_SETRESUID 1
/* #undef USE_SETREUID */
/* #undef USE_SETUIDX */
.

Samba 2.0.7 should be more capable of getting this setting right.

Also check that the guest account has an uid > 0.

giulioo at pobox.com