Contents of /etc/services and other strange data in smb packets

Panu Hällfors panu.hallfors at viloke.fi
Tue Aug 8 10:32:54 GMT 2000

[When replying please cc: me, I'm not subscribed on the list]

Hi!

While observing my network traffic to track down a source
of strange packets hitting my firewall on my Linux Samba 2.0.7-3 (Debian)
host, I came accross some strange NetBeui packets.

Though I'm not 100% sure, I believe they originate from Samba.

The data the packets (of length 65535) contain include
  -services listing from /etc/services
  -a fraction of a web page an other user on the same network was requesting
  -names and paths of system libraries (eg. /lib/libnss_db.so.2)
  -other strings, among others "passwd" and "shadow"
  -listing of locale files
  -etc...

Is this normal and is Samba doing this?

 Thanks,

      Panu

[When replying please cc: me, I'm not subscribed on the list]

--
         Panu Hällfors          |  Internet Application Developer, Viloke Oy
    panu.hallfors at viloke.fi     |             http://www.viloke.fi