NetBIOS name server protocol spoofing

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Aug 4 15:15:21 GMT 2000

name conflict and name release requests.

I did have a quick look at the code, but apart from no obvious ref to
conflict packets could not determine.
Is Samba vulnerable to this problem?

Here is the Microsoft take on it (very carefully worded):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/fq00-047.asp

Their fix is to have a registry setting to ignore such packets.  They point
out that this is potentially dangerous.  I do not think this is a big
issue - it is just another DoS attack.

| Peter Polkinghorne, Computer Centre, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH,|
| Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk   +44 1895 274000 x2561       UK          |