hardlinks on ntfs and smb

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Wed Aug 2 17:39:09 GMT 2000

Hi,

When I wrote the mail about delete on ntfs, I remembered,
that ntfs also supports hardlinks and got curious, what
about hardlinks and SMB?

So I grabbed two NT-boxes, and tried "ln 1 2" on a remotely
connected drive. Guess what? It worked. I ended up with a
hardlink.

So the next question was: Does the hardlink show up with a
link-count of 2 remotely? Well, with the ls.exe, I have, it
only showed up with 2 localy, but not remotely...

I just wanted to let you know. I don't think, there's a
need for implementing this in samba. Maybe there's little
interest in documenting, what happens on the wire, but I
don't want to get involved too much in that.

BTW: Does w2k support symlinks?

    Elrond

p.s.: If you need ln.exe, it's either in ntreskit/posix or
      I've seen some on various nt-related pages.
      ntreskit\posix also contains an ls.exe, that shows
      the link-count.