printer driver issue

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Fri Apr 28 13:46:41 GMT 2000

YiHua \"Philip\" Sheng wrote:

> I installed samba 2.6 on a Solaris 7 box which intends to be a print server
> for all Windows NT workstation clients, but samba only offers  automatical
> printer driver installation to Windiws 9x platform, not to Window NT
> workstation platform. NT Workstation user still needs to find what kind of
> printer it is, which driver they should use, where to find it, and the
> biggest problem is that, as a general user, they don't have the privilidge
> to install any driver. Is there any good method to handle this problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Philip

This functionality is planned for 2.0.8.  Obviously that
doesn't help you much now.  The only option you currently have
is to install the printer driver locally (required admin priv).
You will have to know what type of printer it is of course.
At my last job, since we had a variety of PS printers available,
we always instaled a generic postscript driver.  The Apple
Laserwrite II NTX  seemed to work good for this.

Cheers,
jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com    VA Linux Systems  gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org      SAMBA Team            jerry at samba.org