Samba connectivity- partial only

Pazdnikov Alexander hunter at acmep.ustu.ru
Fri Apr 28 08:39:28 GMT 2000

Cappellini, Tony wrote:

> I've almost got things working now- but when I click on my Linux box
> in NEtwork Neighborhood- from Windows 98, I am prompted to enter a
> password.
>
> The dialog box that pops up for password looks like this ..
>
> Resource : \\machine name\IPC$
> Password :
>
> I've only got 2 users on my Linux box, Root, and one user account.
> I have tried both passwords when I am promted from the windows
> machine, but neither are accepted.
>
> What is IPC$ - on the Linux box ?
>
> What's going on here- why am I being prompted for passwords to access
> the Linux exported diretory ?

  Hello, Tony.
As I've understand You don't has a guest account
on Yours Linux Box.

Make smth like this in /etc/passwd file

nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:

In Yours smb.conf file You can find the following lines
that will make a light on Yours problem :

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to
/etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is
used
;    guest account = pcguest