Misconceptions about Samba as a logon server

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Apr 18 00:57:55 GMT 2000

Hi,

I am trying to clarify some possible misconceptions about Samba as a logon
server, perhaps complicated by multiple-subnet setups.

The assertion has been made that for Samba to function as a Win9X logon
server, the following parameters must be set (apart from the domain logons
etc parameters):

  os level = 65
  local master = yes
  domain master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  wins support = yes

Now, I have checked this out, and find that Samba 2.0.6 will function as a
Win9X logon server quite happily with all of the above set off.

In addition, os level = 33 is enough to force Samba to win elections.

It seems to me that the reason Samba will correctly function as a logon
server in the absence of the parameters above is that the client broadcasts
a NetLogon request in the subnet it resides in, so Samba sees it.

Indeed, it seems to me that for Win9X Logons to work in a multi-subnet
environment, all that is needed is for the following to be set:

  domain logons = yes
  logon script = <something>
  wins support = yes

And clients must be configured to use the logon server.

Can anyone confirm this?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course