[ADVANCE NOTICE] usernames limited to 8 chars gonna be nasty..

Elrond Elrond at Wunder-Nett.org
Fri Apr 14 13:35:24 GMT 2000

Hi Luke,

I have to say, I don't want to see any DOMAIN\something in
my /etc/passwd, it just looks... I wont like it.

On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 08:49:46PM +1000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Peter Samuelson wrote:
>

> > [lkcl]
> > > this is to let you all know that we're going to be very, very mean to
> > > you all and mandate that usernames can be of the following
                                         ^^^
_can_ is important. :)

> > > format... in /etc/passwd:
> > >
> > > DOMAINNAME\username.
> > >
> > > oh, dear: what a pity!  that's more than 8 chars.
> >
> > You will still support "username map" won't you?  It should be possible

That was, what I wanted to ask too.

> yeah, that's what i ran into difficulties with, i started playing and when
> i found that i had added a domain name to user_in_list() i stopped :)

There shouldn't be a big difference in having the domain
and user directly in passwd or having a step in between,
that does it.

But I've seen the current domain_namemap.c... and I have to
say, I haven't tried to understand it completely.

But I would realy like it, if domain name map would work,
also for interdomain-trust-relationships.

> > to cook up an `adduser' script which mangles the given domain and
> > username so as to fit within 8 characters, then adds *that* to
> > /etc/passwd and the real thing to /etc/samba/username.map.
>
> yep!!!

Yeah, I could live with something like that too.

> > I will be quite happy the day IBM recompiles all of AIX with
> > -DUSE_PAM.... (:
>
> *mouhw* :)
Yes !

    Elrond