Browsing: Machines not disappearing from browse list

Steffen Moser moser at egu.schule.ulm.de
Wed Apr 12 05:01:16 GMT 2000

Hello,

we are using "samba-2.0.6" (running on linux-2.2.14 machines). On our
client machines we use "Windows 9x". There are 2 network segments:

Segment 1 (192.168.1.0):

 - 13 Win95 client machines
 - 1 samba-2.0.6 server ("fsa01") which is LMB in its network segment
(192.168.1.0) and DMB, WINS for the whole network. This samba is also
the
login server forour Win9x clients.

Segment 2 (192.168.3.0):

 - 30 Win95 and Win98 client machines
 - 1 samba-2.0.6 server ("fsc01") which is LMB in its network segment
(192.168.3.0).

General information:

- All machines (in all subnets) are using the WINS "fsa01" to resolve
NetBIOS names.

- All Windows machines don't participate the local master browser
elections - I deactivated this, because our samba servers have to do
these jobs (and -so far- they do it quite well). We only use the
procotol "TCP/IP". There is no "NetBEUI" and no "IPX".

- The two networks "192.168.1.0" and "192.168.3.0" are connected through
a separate Linux router.

Description of my problem:

 - So far the browsing works quite well. All machines list each other in
the browse list. The machines in network segment 1 "see" the machines of
network segment 2 in the browse list without any problems and vice
versa.

 - But there is one problem left: The machines of network segment 2
don't disappear from the browse list even if they are shut down and stay
powered off for several days! In contrast to this behaviour the machines
of segment 1 do disappear (as wanted) from the browse list after their
shutdown.

Of course, this is not a very serious problem (since the machines appear
in the browse list), but it is quite annoying, when the browse list is
full of shutdown machines.

Here is the interesting part of "fsa01"'s samba configuration file
(smb.conf):

> [global]
>     workgroup = EGU
>     interfaces = 192.168.1.2/24
>     name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
>     domain logons = Yes
>     os level = 128
>     preferred master = Yes
>     domain master = Yes
>     wins support = Yes
>     hosts allow = localhost, 192.168.

"fsc01"'s file is listed here:

> [global]
>     workgroup = EGU
>     interfaces = 192.168.3.2/24
>     name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
>     os level = 128
>     preferred master = Yes
>     wins server = 192.168.1.2
>     hosts allow = localhost, 192.168.

My question is:

 - Is there anyone who had a similar problem and is there any solution
for? Is this caused by a bug in the browsing system? Or seems the reason
to be a misconfiguration of my samba servers?

 - Is it possible that the parameters "remote browse sync" and "remote
announce" are able to solve the problem? I haven't tried this out, yet
(but I will).

I would be glad if someone can give me a useful hint!

I can give you some more information in detail ("browse.dat"-files,
"log.nmb"-files from "fsa01" and "fsc01") if needed.

Best regards,
Steffen