addition to: inappropriate checking in smbpasswd when changing passwords

James Caccese el_smead at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 12 00:29:28 GMT 2000

I think that having more then one password database is not a good idea.
Especially if you don't need more then one, as in the case with un-encrypted
passwords. The idea is that from the beginning there is no second password
file, so there is never a chance for anything to get un-synced. Also
allowing a user's password to validate against either of two files is
confusing to people. I personally have at least 8 different passwords i need
to keep track of, but remember that it's people like us that set up and
maintain software like samba, but it's the type of people who use cd-rom
drives for cupholders that are the real users of what we setup. There is a
fine line of usability balanced between confusing users with software that
is too complicated and confusing users with software that isn't rigid
enough. They just don't know what to expect.

-james

James Caccese '01
Pres: Holy Cross Computer Society
Holy Cross College