[ADVANCE NOTICE] usernames limited to 8 chars gonna be nasty..

Tim Potter tpot at linuxcare.com.au
Mon Apr 10 23:23:28 GMT 2000

Jeremy Allison writes:

> > > That's the idea behind winbindd, coming in Samba 3.0 for
> > > UNIXes that have an nsswitch module.
> >
> > Is there some place I can read about this?  I assume that by "nsswitch
> > module" you mean a modular nameservice switch.  I don't think I have
> > any modules which implement the switch.  If that's not correct, I'd
> > like to know.
>
> This has been discussed on samba-tech for quite a while
> (check the list archives), and the code is currently being
> implemented by Linuxcare in the SAMBA_TNG branch in the
> nsswitch/ directory.

And it's nearly finished too!

stamp-collection$ head -2 /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd:         compat ntdom
group:          compat ntdom

stamp-collection$ getent passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:
daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:
adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:
lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:
sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync
shutdown:x:6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
halt:x:7:0:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
operator:x:11:0:operator:/root:
games:x:12:100:games:/usr/games:
gopher:x:13:30:gopher:/usr/lib/gopher-data:
ftp:x:14:50:FTP User:/home/ftp:
nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:
TPOTDOM/Administrator:x:3500:6513:::/dev/null
TPOTDOM/bippity:x:4001:6513:::/dev/null
TPOTDOM/flippity:x:4002:6513:::/dev/null
TPOTDOM/Guest:x:3501:6514:::/dev/null

User and group IDs are dynamically (but algorithmically)
allocated from a range specified in the smb.conf file.  Currently
working under Linux, but should be moderately easily ported to
Solaris and any system that supports > 8 character user/group
names and nsswitch.conf type functionality.

Tim.