[ADVANCE NOTICE] usernames limited to 8 chars gonna be nasty..

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 10 19:15:29 GMT 2000

On 2000.04.10, in <38F19A10.78DE9EA0 at tls.msk.ru>,
	"Michael Tokarev" <mjt at tls.msk.ru> wrote:

> Sounds like there is a need to support "virtual" /etc/passwd, as with
> virtual pop3,www, ... services...  And let to have only username in
> /etc/DOMAINNAME.passwd file :) :(((

This has always been so.  To be blunt, it's absurd that my Windows
users all need actual login accounts on my Unix server.  I guess this
is the secondary reason I have to patch samba for an alternate
authenticator.  /etc/passwd should be a list of users who have unix
services, not a list of username/uid mappings for any arbitrary
purpose.

--
-D. dgc at uchicago.edu    "The beaver's powerful jaws are capable of felling
    ENSA FORCE/		 blue spruce in less than ten minutes and proved,