Release of 2.0.7 due soon.

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 7 11:26:29 GMT 2000

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> David!  Just to knowlege: u- and w- is very different things.
> While u- is _current_ state, w- is a history.
> There is a file system standard (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/) that covers this.
> And, for example, here is two excerpts from this:
>
>   5.6  /var/log : Log files and directories
>
>   The directory contains miscellaneous log files.  Most logs should be
>   written to this directory or an appropriate subdirectory.
>
>   lastlog    record of last login of each user
>   messages   system messages from syslogd
>   wtmp       record of all logins and logouts
>
>   5.9  /var/run : Run-time variable files
>
>   This directory contains system information files describing the system
>   since it was booted.  Files in this directory should be cleared (removed
>   or truncated as appropriate) at the beginning of the boot process.
>
>   []
>
>   The utmp file, which stores information about who is currently using the
>   system, is located in this directory.
>
> That's clean enouth: wtmp is in /var/log, where logfiles are stored,
> and utmp is in /var/run, where current system state is stored.
> And last one is cleared on boot (since noone logged in at boot time :).
> Hence the different locations, and I think there will be more systems
> with this...

Indeed.  That's why the utmp patch we've been discussing over the last
couple of days adds the ability to place u- and w- files separately.

(The remaining minor problem is automatic detection of these default
locations.  The compile-time stuff tries to do this, often successfully.
But for some reason it cannot determine them on Redhat 6.1 (and perhaps
other Linuxes?), and I don't yet have access to such a system to try to
chase it myself.)

Thanks.

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :