not very impressed (Was: 2.0.5 compile time error on HPUX 10.10)

betterformat betterformat at astea.com.au
Wed Sep 29 23:26:15 GMT 1999

Dirk,
thanks for your response.....

> You might as well have found the answer to your question yourself.
> As the compiler is complaining about a structure definition it cannot
> find, at line 809 & 810 of pass_check.c, it concerns the structure
> "struct spwd".

I'd love to agree with you but I am simply not that technical at this
stage....
Although what you say makes sense, I am still building the knowledge
which would lead me to your conclusions..... hence my posting:)

> In HPUX documentation you might find that this structure refers to
> the shadow password construct, which happens to be defined in
> /usr/include/shadow.h

okay.....

> Probably this file is missing at your machine. This however signals a
> bug in the "configure" process, in that it incorrectly assumes that
> shadow passwords are used (Or perhaps not: Are you using shadow
> passwords on your machine?). It would be interesting to examine the
> output of the configure process (in config.log).
> At least on my HPUX 10.20 machine (with shadow.h) I have no problem
> with the configure process (and I always use the HPUX ANSI C
> compiler). I just double checked the configure command to test for
> shadow.h and it looks alright to me.

I was focusing my attention on line 736...... but I only have the vaguest
idea
regarding reading code...... once again, hence my post......

Thanks again for this reply, it certainly gives me a bit to look into
and find out about......

Leo