Bad error code from Samba: Invalid System Name

tridge at linuxcare.com tridge at linuxcare.com
Tue Sep 28 14:45:20 GMT 1999

> If the user has set up a share where the directory being shared does not
> exist or has permissions problems, Samba returns an error of:
>
>    ERRSRV: Invalid Server Name (an 06) error.

I get "ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree connect.)"
for when the directory doesn't exist. That is the same as for when the
share doesn't exist.

Unfortunately NT doesn't have the notion of a share existing but the
directory not existing. What error code do you suggest that gives a
windows user a better bit of feedback? When I chose ERRinvnetname I
did quite a bit of testing with Win95 and couldn't find a code that
gave a better error response.