Error: Cannot Allocate pty for password change.

thomas springer thomas.springer at rz.tu-ilmenau.de
Wed Sep 22 08:29:57 GMT 1999

Hi,

I use samba with ldap support. Samba is able to create the user entries
right.

The password changing without the unix passwd sych works well. But
when I turn the unix password synch on the users can't change their
passwords (neither with smbpasswd nor via Win-NT).

I looked in the logs and found the following error:

[1999/09/21 20:13:04, 3] smbd/chgpasswd.c:chgpasswd(383)
  Password change for user: spring
[1999/09/21 20:13:04, 3] smbd/chgpasswd.c:chat_with_program(310)
  Cannot Allocate pty for password change: spring

the smbpasswd program stops with the error:

machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : The
specified password is invalid.
Failed to change password for spring

I have looked in the logs of my ldap server and found out that there was
no trial to change the passwd on the server.

My pseudo terminals seem to be o.k., because my xterms use them. The
machine is not heavy loaded, so that the max number of terminals is not
the problem.

BTW I use Redhat 6.0.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be ?

It would be great if you could give me a hint.

Thanks in advance!

thomas

smb.conf:

[global]
ldap suffix = "ou=samba,dc=prakinf,dc=tu-ilmenau,dc=de"
ldap bind as = "cn=Directory Manager"
ldap passwd file = /usr/local/etc/samba/ldappasswd
ldap server = hera.prakinf.tu-ilmenau.de
ldap port = 389

log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%U

workgroup = LDAPSMB
netbios name = alfred
comment = Linux RedHat Samba Server
security = user

encrypt passwords = yes
unix password sync = True
passwd program = /usr/local/bin/ldappasswd -v -h
hera.prakinf.tu-ilmenau.de \
-D cn="Directory Manager" -w kassandra \
-t "uid=%u,ou=people,dc=prakinf,dc=tu-ilmenau,dc=de"
passwd chat = *New password* %n\n *Re-enter*new password* %n\n *dc=de
passwd chat debug = true

hosts allow = localhost,141.24.32.

domain master = yes
domain logons = yes